Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Nebula and Julia















I've noticed a new type of fractal that has been imerging on the Internet. It is typically called the Buddha Mandelbrot and Buddha Julia images. You can find several web sites that have galleries of them by searching the Internet. These images have probably been around for about a year or two, but I'm, just start starting to take notice.
















I'm also still dabbling with the IFS flame type fractal by Scott Draves from several years ago. The flame algorithm has been converted to several programming languages, one of which is Java language which is my current preferred software development language. Delphi and C++ just seem to be too overly complicatated these days, but that is another story.

The Buddhabrot / BuddhaJulia and the Flame fractal type are the new types of fractals that have emerged recently and I find them very interesting.

regards
Steve

3 Comments:

Blogger cruelanimal said...

Complexification is a fascinating site devoted to Buddhabrot forms and coloring routines. Kerry has also done some very cool work with Buddhabrots -- and I'd wager he has some interesting observations about them.

9/05/2006 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Tim said...

Speaking of Java, I'm not trying to flatter you Steve, but your Plum08 java applet of the Gumowski-Mira formula, is the best thing I've ever seen in Java. I've posted about it, once or twice elsewhere, because I don't think it's very well known for some reason. The images are extremely creative and the color rendering looks good every time.

Jared Tarbell at the Complexification link that Terry mentioned has some good stuff too which seems to run in Java but is written with "Processing." (I'm not a programmer.) I've looked over a lot of his stuff, but he still doesn't have anything that comes close to Plum08 in terms of creativity and good graphical appearance. It's good to see he's doing something with fractals. His Bubble Chambers are neat, but they tend to be a bit repetitive.

So far, Plum08's the high water mark in this area of applets, in my opinion.

9/05/2006 5:15 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Terry, for mentioning my Buddhabrot work. I was fortunate to have that image ("Warm Glow") shown at the ICM meeting.

I like Buddhabrots because they're different and, in a sense, even more holistic than the standard Mandelbrot set calculation. However, they're also limited in that it's tough to get something different from them. That's one thing I'm working on now--a more general Buddhabrot routine. I'll post something about it when I get it finished.

9/06/2006 3:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home