Sunday, July 30, 2006

Orbit Trapped

hello all.

this perhaps will be an interesting project, it may well resemble the "good old days" of fractal discussion in the old newsgroups circa mid-80's/early-90's. that was a happy time.. fractals were something new and finding people who created them or wrote software to create them with was quite heady. it was fun. whatever happened to fun? somehow all that changed and everyone went running off to various groups, software affiliations and such - and most communication stopped. oh well, things can always easily change again and perhaps it will be here. i hope so.

i have been in a "fractal drought" for a few years due to various things - life has not been very easy, that perhaps is a big factor. it all gives me what would be the equal to writers block. i've also been very frustrated with the past two computers. ye olde windoze 98 machine had too much limit on needed memory and the current windoze xp media edition one is "draggy" even though all software auto-checks are turned off. (anyone have a big sledge hammer?)

it really doesn't matter right now, so little time to be online and having "fractal block" can really help a person ignore the tech issues. as for software preferences when there was much more time and inspiration to create images, i am/was/am an omnivore. that means i really can't and won't take sides here - it may be a help or a detriment, no?

as usual, my time online is done.. back to the drudge of the chores that keep me on a short leash.

-lynne
(wow, this is the most i've said in public in ages!!!!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Damien Jones said...

Everybody goes through dry spells. That's just normal, life has a way of doing that to you. I've made precious few fractals in the last year (never mind that I posted two to Renderosity last week or so) and that's because I got married, had a wedding, and helped a bit with the ICM contest. I had a few ideas of late for some fractal toys but I haven't had a chance to do anything with them.

I think one thing taking a break can do is give you a rest and let the creative energy recharge for a bit. I do know that when you get back into it, it feels good. I'm looking forward to getting back to making some art, not just talking about it or choosing it, but I'm not stressed out about it right now, because I know that time will come.

7/30/2006 8:47 PM

 
Blogger Philip said...

Hi Lynne,

Interesting glimpse of what things were like before my time. I didn't stumble upon the fractal community till '97 or so. Things seemd fragmented then, but it didn't bug me. Perhaps with this blog, we can have the best of all worlds, a place where the fragments come together from time to time before going off again to do their own thing. :-)

7/31/2006 10:12 AM

 
Blogger David Makin said...

Hi Lynn, previously I've found when I'm having creative problems the best thing to do is not to try too hard (whether trying to create Art or just new formulas). With respect to the Art I just carry on trying but if I'm getting nowhere I just save what I've done (unsatisfied as I may be with it) and leave it for a day (or more).
Doing this, eventually I get "the knack" back again and, without fail, once I have then revisiting the unsuccessful parameter files I produced in the dry spell produces excellent results.
I do have "dry spells" that are nothing to do with losing the creative urge or "the knack" - they're just due to unwanted pressures from my "day-job" !

7/31/2006 7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home