Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Biographical (Moby-Dick, Chapter 12)


Biographical (Moby-Dick, Chapter 12)

"He was a modern Viking. There is something curious about real blue-eyed people. They are never quite human, in the good classic sense, human as brown-eyed people are human: the human of the living humus. About a real blue-eyed person there is usually something abstract, elemental. Brown-eyed people are, as it were, like the earth, which is tissue of bygone life, organic, compound. In blue eyes there is sun and rain and abstract, uncreate element, water, ice, air, space, but not humanity. Brown-eyed people are people of the old, old world: Allzu menschlich. Blue-eyed people tend to be too keen and abstract."

--D.H. Lawrence, on Melville

As for me: Call me Peter (green-eyed).







3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Nice image. It has an expensive, "lithographic" look to it. Such a simple fractal shape we've all seen before, but here it's got a style that is fresh and unique.

I've got hazel eyes. I guess they'd put me to work chopping bait or sawing blubber.

8/16/2006 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Philip said...

Brown eyes here. Uh oh. 8~0 ;-)

8/16/2006 9:47 AM

 
Blogger cruelanimal said...

I remember seeing some of this remarkable series on Beyond the Zero. I hope you'll share some more of it. The images convincingly convey aspects of Melville and his most famous novel: the beauty and drift of the sea, the gracefulness and massiveness of the whale, the genius and quirks of Ahab and his author, and so on.

Green eyes for me, too. Call me Ishtar.

No. Wait. I'm confusing Moby Dick's narrator with a really bad movie...

8/16/2006 7:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home