Sunday, August 13, 2006

Each One Of You Is Perfect

"Each One Of You Is Perfect The Way You Are
And You Can Use A Little Improvement"

Shunryu Suzuki , a Zen abbot, used this teaching in one of his addresses. It occurred to me that it’s how I view fractals.

At first I would take them into other art programs for alterations. Draw on them, apply filters, turn them inside out to achieve a completed image. After a few years I started using them in abstract collages. And then I began to combine them with human figures.

This melding is one in a series of surreal female icons printed on cloth. The fractal is a XenoDream shell.

Taking fractals into multi media helped make my art more obviously personal. Moving into new areas of expression, I always pack my fractals for the trip.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I've never seen anyone do this sort of work before; fractal/photo collage.

It looks very natural; the head and the shell look like part of each other. Very well done piece of artwork.

You said that this one was part of a series, do you have any more of them viewable online?

8/13/2006 9:28 PM

 
Blogger cruelanimal said...

I really like this image. It's seamless and elegant -- and strangely evocative.

8/14/2006 1:05 AM

 
Blogger elenyte said...

Thanks, Tim and cruelanimal.

Tim, the other images aren't on the net. But from time to time I'll use them here in postings. Thanks for asking about them!

8/15/2006 1:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home