Saturday, August 18, 2007

Artistic Progress

Today someone commented on one of the first works that I posted for critique over here at the Fracfan Forum.

The original picture (below) was posted back in April. At the time I really, really liked it. Now, I'd put it firmly in the "OK / not too ugly" basket, but certainly not my best / most memorable work.

Rainy Day

In fact, compared with recent work, its positively dull. The criticism received back in April certainly helped the process along. For one thing, after that I stopped framing my work.

Subsequent comments / requests have lead to incorporate "icon space" in the graphics designed for desktops. Below are two of my most recent efforts.

Blue Perspective

Blue Persepective

Fading Idea

Fading Idea

I wonder what I'll think of the above two works six months from now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I went nuts over bump-mapping and trying to make everything look photo-realistic when I first started with computer graphics. Since then I think I've dumped all of that -a couple of years of "work". I think our tastes change over the years and particularly our standards. When you've been working with fractals for a number of years, you don't get excited over the things you did at first because it's not new anymore and your expectations are higher.

In the end though, I think we all need to develop our own ability to judge our work for ourselves. Advice helps, but we still have to judge the advice too. The test of time is what I've really learned from. If it doesn't still look good a year from now then it lacks substance.

Reflecting on ones work is what separates the novice from the mature (or maturing) in art.

8/19/2007 11:47 PM

 
Blogger Dzeni said...

Tim, thanks for your comment. I agree that the ability to take a step back and reevaluate past pieces is an important part of the artistic process. I have found advice from others to be very helpful, especially when it allows one to look at one's work "through another's eyes". Lets just say that the view is always interesting, and often unexpected.

8/21/2007 6:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Framed one looks good to me. Bit blurry, but still interesting.

I've been making fractal images with Apophysis. Some results can be found at http://art.tech.fi/.

What application(s) you are using to render fractals?

8/22/2007 12:13 PM

 
Blogger Dzeni said...

I use the internal Apo renderer and render the graphics as transparent .png files. They are then post processed in Painshop Pro. Of course Gimp would work just as well for post processing but I'm used to good old PSP.

8/23/2007 5:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home