Friday, January 19, 2007

Four Walls


ooh ooh lookie lookie! Cool pic! Here's 1000 more ... remember those individuals at Yahoo's Fractal World who used to post tons of images? Who'd they think was gonna look at all that? One person in particular I suspected of simply dumping and never looking at anybody elses. This came to light when FW stopped hosting the images. About 6 weeks later, a post appears asking what's going on (why can't I see MINE?!) Ah me oh my.

I like to think this image is suggestive of a claustrophobic atmosphere. I'd missed out on a lot of 80s music. So I decided to listen to a compilation. I liked best the ska song Mirror in the Bathroom by the English Beat, and the synthpop tune Tainted Love by Soft Cell with its rapid smooching sound effect near the beginning. Onomatopoeic. There was also Da Da Da, uh huh uh huh uh huh. Maybe soon I'll tackle a 90s compilation.

Philip's Home Page
Philip's Blog

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

That's what every artform needs: a compilation. But that means someone has to play the role of a compiler. I think that's a skill that's been overlooked or forgotten on the internet. But it's changing. I see alot of new collectors or linkers appearing. So often I find a link on someone's site or in a blog posting or something and when I go there it's something really fantastic and I wonder, how come I couldn't find this by using Google?

It's too bad the online magazine genre, e-zine, never went anywhere. I thought that was just what the internet needed: old-fashioned editing.

1/19/2007 12:52 PM

 
Blogger cruelanimal said...

Hey, I liked Trio. "Da Da Da" was both insipid and brilliant -- simultaneously. In fact, one of the few English refrains in that song applies to the incurious, near-blind, binge poster who took weeks to comprehend that his/her image floods weren't viewable on "Fractal World":

This is what you got to know:
"Let you go, it didn't show"

1/19/2007 1:16 PM

 
Blogger Philip said...

Yes indeed, Trio definitely has a place in pop history. Every now and then, a novelty song just cuts through everything else on the radio. Another one that springs to mind is Napoleon 14's "They're coming to take me away ha ha" :-)

The internet may be too big for editing. Over the years it seems to have gone from usenet lists to yahoo directory, to alta vista, to google, and lately wikipedia. The much maligned wikipedia may be the best try. Up front, you get an article that's not too good, but not too bad either, depending on where it was cribbed from, and how many surfers have improved and degraded it. It occurred to me the other day that wiki is the opposite of the scientific method. Instead of "develop your article, run it by other experts, then publish", it's "publish, then hope someone will come along to fix!"

1/20/2007 9:59 AM

 
Blogger pinozito said...

Internet editing. You forgot del.icio.us and stumbleupon (and also reddit and digg
but these need a lot of people to work properly). If a small group of interested people like us, start tagging in del.icio.us or stmbleupon single fractal images with similar tags (just a few every day as we look around) you can have in little time a compilation of popular fractal images.

1/22/2007 8:53 AM

 
Blogger Philip said...

"You forgot..."

No, just can't mention everything. Better if you say, "There is also..."

Yes, tag as much as you want. :-)

1/22/2007 11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home