Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fair or not?

'Who's In My Garden?' Fair entry - summer '06

Last year I entered a Fractal in the Art Fair. I guess we are kinda backward here, there were only 4 entries for 'Computer Generated Art' (which was classed as 'handicrafts' rather than 'fine arts'.) I came in 4th...hey it was a $2.50 premium! Sadly, when they were hanging my picture, they dropped it and smashed the glass, messed up the frame, scratched both the print and the mat... a total of about $75 worth of damage. But I got a yellow ribbon. Someone encouraged me to do it again, lol! So I did...

I picked up the print in plenty of time this year, as opposed to the evening before it had to be framed, etc. and submitted. But being a procrastinator is my specialty. I was at the frame shop the day before it was due, begging new glass from the manager ($36! again), but he did offer to put it all together if I left it overnight. Lots of negotiating and discussion as to which end is up, etc. I picked it up the next day and upon inspection I found that they had placed the wire hangers in the wrong edge. They were showing it in portrait format when I had clearly instructed landscape. So I had to wait and wait for them to switch it over and then made a mad dash to be in line by the last minute... only to wait for nearly 2 hours, standing in a hot, dusty, mosquito-y area with 50 other people who each had 20 items to submit. Yes, I only had one item :(

They remembered me! Well, they remembered dropping my picture and smashing the glass. They promised to take better care of it, and luckily they did! The glass was still intact, and it was hung out of the reach of kids, so I get to actually hang this one on my wall. My competition? :( Not a single other entry in Computer Generated Art. So I win the blue ribbon (and the $4.00 premium) for persistence! Does it count? I don't know...

But I have a blue ribbon :)

6 Comments:

Blogger M.Spiegel said...

Just think of yourself as a pioneer. ;)

1/21/2007 9:23 AM

 
Blogger Rykk said...

Hey Viv - those ribbons are even better than winning $$. The money goes away real quick but ribbons last a lifetime...:-) Great fractal, btw.

Rick

1/21/2007 3:17 PM

 
Blogger Tim said...

That's a wonderful anectdote. It almost makes the internet sound boring. Nothing ever gets smashed in a web gallery, and there's no mosquitoes. I wonder how many visitors to my website have wanted to turn my artwork sideways to see if it looked better...

1/21/2007 6:38 PM

 
Blogger Guido Cavalcante said...

You must just let me maintain my pessimism about the art trade as it is these days, for it does not at all include discouragement. This is my way of reasoning. Supposing I am right in considering that curious haggling about prices of pictures to be more and more like the bulb trade. I repeat, supposing that like the bulb trade at the end of the last century, so the art trade, along with other branches of speculation at the end of this century, will disappear as they came, namely rather quickly. The bulb trade may disappear - the flower-growing remains. And I for myself am contented, for better or for worse, to be a small gardener, who loves his plants.

quoted from a letter of Vincent van Gogh to his brother Theo, at October, 1885

1/22/2007 9:30 AM

 
Blogger M.Spiegel said...

Tim wrote I wonder how many visitors to my website have wanted to turn my artwork sideways to see if it looked better...

I sometimes turn my head sideways to look at abstracts. Upside-down is more of a problem.

1/22/2007 4:47 PM

 
Blogger Barbara Din Art said...

Hey, you got those ribbons, right? LOL Nobody has to know how many entries there were. Too bad there weren't more because I know you would get those ribbons anyway.

2/18/2007 5:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home